Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Gift of Poetry.


Poetry has been around for a very long time. In fact, there has never been a civilization that did not possess it. And though its and ancient art, something about poetry remains fresh and new.

Like, when the morning dew lying fresh on a meadow reaches into the old growth forest, so poetry, while moving forward,  looks back and into the past, reflecting the human condition.
It can be refined and elegant, but also raw and earthy. Poetry is studied and dissected in the elite halls of academia and recited by children in grade school, while skipping rope on the playground.

I am 52 years old and one day, when I grow up, I want to be a poet. A mincer of words whose verse captivates your heart, interrupts your life and speaks to your soul.
Robert Frost pulled me in and I’ve never recovered. Since that time, there have been others.  Longfellow, Milosz, Hirsch and Billy Collins to name a few.  Yet, the 23rd psalm was written over three thousand years ago and transcends them all.
Yes, when I grow up, I want to be a poet. But, if before I make it they should lay me to rest, please grant this wannabe one final request. Carve on my stone, “He Died Trying."


www.camdockery.com

email:cam@camdockery.com







 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment