Thursday, March 13, 2014

Forgivness: It's the heart of the matter.





Don Henley recorded and released, The Heart of the Matter, during his solo career a number of years ago. It was after another one of those nasty break ups for which The Eagles were known and are now remembered. If you recall, there was this haunting repetition with the group that went something like this: They would get together, record an album, go on tour and then break up. Only to repeat the process in a few years.

Perhaps you recall the Hell Freezes Over concert and tour. It was called Hell Freezes Over because that was the response given when someone asked the group, "When do you think you'll get together again?"

I was listening to an interview with Don Henley following the Out of Eden Album and he was asked, "So, how are you guys getting along together these days?" Don smiled and said, "Oh, about the same way we always have." Then he went on to say, "When you have that much talent and creativity in a room it presents problems." It was like everyone comes with their own idea and direction and it was only a matter of time before a spark would ignite an explosion. That was a common denominator with a lot of groups and bands. It continues to this day. It's the nature of the beast and comes with the territory.

I think it's interesting that it was during on of the many breakups and while Henley had some time away from the group and a little space that he and David Sauder wrote and produced one of the most beautiful singles Henley ever recorded. To think a song about forgiveness was actually included in the Hell Freezes over tour suggest perhaps a few others may have gotten the message. Just saying.

At best it is only speculative, but I  wonder if Henley & Sauder thought and talked over all those wars the group had experienced and finally got to...The Heart of the Matter. At the end of the day, the song says, it's all about forgiveness.

I am a pastor and forgiveness is weighing heavy on my mind these days. I've learned that the act of forgiveness is central to the Gospel message. Unfortunately we have preached the message of forgiveness in the church, but as the church, we have had a hard time walking it out in our faith.

I am convinced forgiveness is so central that it becomes...The key which unlocks the door, the hinge from which the whole thing swings and the glue that holds it all together.

You read about forgiveness in The Lords prayer, "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." In Matthew 18 Peter comes to Jesus with a question about forgiveness..

"Then Peter came and said to Him, 'Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. "     (Matt.18;21 & 22)

When he ask," how many times shall I forgive my brother." It's a question that tells us 1. Peter had reason to be offended and 2. He was offended by a "Brother." The Brother could have been his biological sibling, or another family member, or possibly a close friend.

Whoever the offending party was is not relevant to the story.  Peter was asking, "How do I handle it when someone I know and love disappoints me." Every indication is that Peter already knew forgiveness was a central element. He even goes as far as to inquire about the number of times a man should be forgiven.

Jesus responds in a typical fashion by suggesting 7 X 70 is not too often. While it's true that Jesus often spoke in hyperbole, it's also true, that when we forgive as we have been forgiven, we give up all rights to keeping a record and tally.

On the day Jesus gave his life as a ransom for the hearts of mankind he showed us what true forgiveness looks like. After he was rejected, betrayed, beaten and crucified he drew a deep breath and from a rugged cross whispered, "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do."

I'm not climbing up on a soap box and preaching to anyone. I realize some will read this and agree, and others will not. Some will not even finish reading this post before dismissing the thought and surfing on to the next article. A few will consider me a religious fanatic and call me a Jesus freak.

However, most of us have this in common. We have all been in a position of giving and receiving forgiveness. The need and neglect of forgiveness shows up in every parent/child relationship. Marriage's suffer and churches split for the lack of it.

And with that I have a question: Would you please allow me to get something off my chest? It is 1:17 (am) and I am having a hard time finding sleep. I turn 52 years old today and I have served as a pastor for 30 years and as I said, forgiveness is weighing heavy on my mind. So, before I close my eyes I need to share, if over the years you have been hurt, or wounded by me, or if you've had reason to be disappointed  with me, I'm asking you to ..."Please forgive me."

www.camdockery.com




No comments:

Post a Comment